|TERREBONNE PARISH, one of the most southern in the
state, was established March 22, 1822, from the southern
part of Lafourche parish, and derives its name from Bayou
Terrebonne. The parish has an area of 1,790 square miles and
is bounded on the north and east by Lafourche parish; on the
south by the Gulf of Mexico; and one the west by the Gulf
and by St. Mary and Assumption parishes. The early history
of the parish is that of the mother parish, Lafourche, and
dates back to the middle of the 18th century. Those who
first settled in the country now known as Terrebonne were
Royal Marsh, on Black bayou; the Boudreaus located on Little
Caillou and the Terrebonne; the Belanger family took up land
along the lower Terrebonne. A number of the descendants of
these pioneers reside in different part of the parish today,
and many of them have taken prominent part in the affairs of
the parish and state. Prevost started a plantation on Grand
Caillou; the Shuvin family on Little Caillou; the
Marlboroughs went to the northern part of the parish;
settlers in other sections were Curtis Rockwood, the
D'Arbonnes, Le Boeufs, Trahans, Bergerons, R. H. and James
B. Grinage located near the site of Houma. When Terrebonne
parish was organized in 1822 the seat of government was
located at Bayou Cane, 3 miles from the present town of
Houma. An old wooden building was used for the first court
house. R. H. Grinage owned the land where Houma now stands.
He platted it, donated the ground for the court house, and
in 1834 the parish seat was moved to Houma. Francis M. Guyol
presided over the first parish court, and Caleb Watkins was
the first sheriff. At the time of its creation the
population was slightly over 2,000, including the slaves.
The parish is well drained by Bayous Terrebonne, Black,
De Large, Grand and Little Caillou, Chene, Penchant and
Decade. The formation is largely coast marsh, with a
considerable area of alluvial land and wooded swamp. The
land along the gulf is sea marsh, subject to tidal overflow
and unfit for cultivation, but in the northern part the land
rises to an elevation of several feet and the soil is a very
superior quality of alluvial deposit, wonderfully fertile,
and is highly cultivated. Sugar and rice arc the great crop
productions, though hay, jute, potatoes and peas are grown
in considerable quantities. Rice is the most rapidly
increasing crop in the south, and hundreds of acres in
Terrebonne are planted with it. The farmers protect their
fields with dikes, and flood them when desired with water
from the bayous. Rotation of crops has been introduced in
almost all of the rice section, which makes the returns
sure, while hogs are raised as a side line, eating many of
the by-products that would otherwise be of no commercial
value. In the mild climate and rich soil of this favored
region, fruits grow well. Within the last few years a hardy
species of orange has been introduced and the orange
industry is becoming more important. Other fruits are
lemons, mandarins, olives, bananas, prunes, pomegranates,
guavas, plums and figs. There is some oak, willow, elm and
gum on the higher lands, and a large quantity of cypress in
the swamps, all supplying valuable commercial lumber. Wild
game of all kinds abounds, and salt water fish of fine
quality, such as sheep head, pompano, sea trout, Spanish
mackerel, pike and crabs, are taken in the many bays and
inlets along the coast. A thriving business is conducted in
terrapin, shrimp and oysters, which are obtained in great
abundance, large quantities being shipped to the markets of
New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Memphis, and a number of
canning establishments exist which expert their products to
the northern and eastern markets. There are few large towns
in Terrebonne. Houma, the parish seat, is the most
important, and some of the others are Bourg, Chacahoula,
Chauvin, Dulac, Dormer, Ellendale, Schriever, Gibson, Gray,
Minerva, Montegut, Ormond and Theriot. Transportation is
provided by the Southern Pacific R. R., which crosses the
northern part of the parish, and a branch line runs
southeast from Sehriever to Houma. Nearly all of the farmers
on the arable lands are thus brought within reach of the
railroad. The following statistics are from the U. S. census
for 1910: number of farms, 549; acreage, 141,726; acres
improved, 49,428; value of land and improvements exclusive
of buildings, $3,090,603; value of farm buildings, $793,181;
value of live stock, $447,903; total value of all crops,
$1,811,717. The population was 28,320.
Boudreaux, a post-hamlet in the central part of Terrebonne parish, is situated on the western shore of Lake Quitman, about 12 miles south of Houma, the parish seat and most convenient railroad station.
Bourg, a post-hamlet in the eastern part of the Terrebonne parish, situated on Bayou Chene about 10 miles southeast of Houma, the parish seat and nearest railroad station.
Chacahoula, a village in the northern part of Terrebonne parish, is a station on the Southern Pacific R. R.. about 6 miles southwest of Schriever. It is the supply point for a considerable district, has a money order postoffice, an express office, telegraph and telephone facilities, and a population of 124.
Chauvin, a post-hamlet in the central part of Terrebonne parish, is situated at the head of Quitman lake. It is a station of the Cumberland telephone and telegraph company, and has a population of 200.
Donner, a village in the northwestern part of Terrebonne parish, is on the Southern Pacific R. R., about 10 miles west of Schriver, and 15 miles northwest of Houma. the parish seat. It has a money order postoffice, an express office, telephone and telegraph facilities, important sugar industries, and a population of 125.
Dulac, a post-hamlet in the central part of Terrebonne parish, is situated on Bayou Caillou, just south of Quitman lake and about 15 miles south of Houma, the parish seat.
Ellendale (R. R. name Central), a village and station in the northern part of Terrebonne parish, is on the branch of the Southern Pacific R. R. that runs from Shriever to Houma, about half way between those two towns. Population 200. It has a money order post office, telegraph and telephone facilities, and is a trading and shipping point for a rich farming district.
Gibson, a village in the northwestern part of Terrebonne parish, is a station on the Southern Pacific R. R. about 12 miles west of Schriever. It has a money order post office, express office, telegraph station and telephone, and a population of 200.
Gray, a post-hamlet of Terrebonne parish, is situated near the northern boundary on Bayou du Chien, about 2 miles east of Rebecca, the nearest railroad station, and 8 miles northwest of Houma, the parish seat. Population 150.
Houma, the seat of justice of Terrebonne parish, is located on Bayou Terrebonne, in the northern part of the parish, and is the terminus of a branch of the Southern Pacific railroad, which connects with the main line at Schriever. The town was made the parish seat in 1834. It is in the center of a large sugar producing district, and large quantities of that commodity are shipped from the city every year. Next to sugar the principal articles of export are oysters and canned shrimp. In addition to the sugar and oyster industries, Houma has a bank, an ice factory, a fine public market, two newspapers, several fine mercantile establishments, and large lumber interests. The chief public buildings are the court-house, a high school, the market house and an opera house, the last named having been built by public subscription at a cost of $8,000. Public and private schools afford excellent educational facilities, and the principal religious denominations are represented by suitable houses of worship. The population in 1910 was 5,024.
Humphreys, a village in the northern part of Terrebonne parish, is situated on the Black bayou about 10 miles west of Houma, the parish seat and most convenient railroad town. It has a money order post office and is a trading center for a large agricultural district.
Minerva, a post-village of Terrebonne parish, is a station on the division of the Southern Pacific R. R. that runs from Schriever to Houma, four miles south of the former. It is a trading and shipping point of some consequence.
Montegut, a village in the eastern part of Terrebonne parish, is about 4 miles east of Quitman lake, and 12 miles southeast of Houma, the parish seat and nearest railroad town. It has a money order post office, and a good retail trade. Population 150.
Ormond, a post-hamlet of Terrebonne parish, is located on the south bank of the Black Bayou, about 5 miles southwest of Houma, the parish seat and most convenient railroad station.
Schriever, a village in the northern part of Terrebonne parish is a station on the Southern Pacific R. R., and is the terminus of a branch of the same system that runs to Houma, the parish seat, 12 miles south. Schriever has a money order post office, telegraph and express offices and a large retail trade. Population 125.
Theriot, a post-hamlet of Terrebonne parish, is located on the Bayou Du Large, about 12 miles south of Houma, the parish seat and nearest railroad town.
Re-typing and format by C. W. Barnum