Zwolle, Sabine Parish, Louisiana
Zwolle is a
live and growing town situated twelve miles northwest of Many on
the K. C. S. Ry. It was established in 1896 and was named for a
daughter of an official of the railroad. Zwolle has always been
one of the best sawmill towns of the parish and in recent years
has enjoyed a rapid and substantial growth, both as a commercial
center and and a place of residence.
The town was
incorporated in 1901 in order to furnish the needed municipal
government. No town can boast of a more hospitable and
progressive citizenship nor better society. The people have just
completed a large modern brick public school building and that
institution will be made a high school. The Baptist, Methodist
and Catholic denominations have neat houses of worship, and the
Masons and other fraternal societies have lodges here. Electric
lights, waterworks and an ice factory are also among the
conveniences of the town. Several large business houses are
located here and have a large trade.
surrounded by a country rich in agricultural possibilities,
being especially adapted to truck growing and fruit raising, and
the development of these industries is going gradually ahead.
During the past few years the town has supported a Progressive
League which has accomplished a great deal in the way of
advertising the resources of that section. The leading
industries are the Sabine Lumber Company and the Progressive
Lumber Company, the latter being a hardwood enterprise. Both
companies employ a large number of men and furnish the town with
The Bank of
Zwolle was chartered in 1905 and reorganized in 1906 with the
following board of directors: J. W. Reynolds, J. P. Towery,
Frank Hunter, T. Laroax, A. S. Keelen and S. H. Porter. The
capital stock is $25,000. It is one of the most substantial
financial institutions in the parish and has enjoyed merited
prosperity. The bank owns a neat brick building which is
equipped with all necessary furniture and fixtures. It numbers
among its stockholders some of the most substantial citizens of
this and other sections. The present officers are: J. P. Towery,
president; S. H. Porter and A. S. Keelen, vice presidents; R. L.
Gay, cashier; W. C. Webb, assistant cashier.
Lumbar Co. conducts an immense store here and does a large
business, probably no other establishment in the parish enjoying
a greater trade.
Stephens is a progressive firm doing a general merchandise
business. They are clever gentlemen and do a fine business. For
several years Mr. S. L. Carroll, the senior member of the firm,
was the senior member of the firm, was the efficient office
deputy in the sheriff's office at Many, and previous to that
time had been engaged in mercantile pursuits.
A. S. Keelen
is proprietor of the Pelican Drug Store. He has been a resident
of Zwolle since the early days of the town, has held several
public positions and has been prominently identified with its
growth and best interests.
Mitchell is manager of the drug store of Peterson, Mitchell &
Co., and also the popular postmaster. He is a splendid business
man and a progressive citizen. Mr. Mitchell was born and reared
in Sabine and began his business career in Many with the Dillon
prominent merchants of Zwolle are S. H. Porter, Dover & Dover,
Mrs. H. S. Meyers, M. J. Coolly and G. T. Brown.
Hotel, the leading hostelry, is conducted by Mrs. Gaul. It is
most pleasantly located, affords fine accommodations and is very
popular with the traveling public.
Mitchell conducts an up-to-date restaurant and has a good
patronage. He has spent many years in the restaurant and hotel
business and knows how to serve his patrons.
Zwolle has a
rural free delivery route, among the patrons
J. B. Adair
W. J. Aten
W. M. Aten
J. J. Bains
B. W. Barr
W. L. Dailey
W. C. Mains
D. A. Moses
|John R. Parrott
T. O. Phillips
S. T. Quarles
H. H. Thomas
P. V. Webb
J. O. Wiley
T. F. Wiley
The physicians of
Zwolle are Dr. R. L. Parrott, Dr. M. Boring, Dr. R. I. Vines,
Dr. T. M. Tramel and Dr. L. Vines. Dr. C. C. Woods is the
Source: History of Sabine Parish,
Louisiana, by John G. Belisle, Sabine Banner Press, 1913.