Tyne, Mill Creek, Toro, Sabine Parish, Louisiana
office was named for John Tynes a pioneer of that section and
was established about 1889. Abraham Kicks was the first
postmaster and was succeeded by John W. Whatley and the latter
by W. J. Norsworthy who is the present postmaster and conducts a
mercantile business. His father was A. J. Norsworthy who came
from Alabama in 1859 and whose family of ten children seven of
whom are living namely: George W. of Natchitoches parish; J. C.
W. F. Mrs. G. W. Lockwood Mrs. W. A. Montgomery Mrs. G. N.
Welden and W. J. The latter's wife was Miss. Sarah Craig of
Natchitoches parish and they have a family of ten children.
J. W. Canady was a prosperous
merchant of Tyne for several years. The pioneers of this section
were Henry Lester Sampson Whatley A. J. Norsworthy James Isgitt
Sam Cole and Thomas Boswell.
which was located on the old Nolan Trace or Alexandria and Texas
road near Tyne was famous in early days as the headquarters for
outlaws and rowdies and the place which contained two stores and
saloons was given its name because it was remarked that the
people there would 'fight at the shake of a hat." Prominent
residents of Tyne at this time are J. W. Canady H. J. Lester J.
T. and P W. Isgitt J. C. Norsworthy. F. J. Byrd E. Canady and
progressive citizens of this post office are J. C. Sibley A. J.
Withers J. E. Withers J. E. and A. B. Jordan T. J. Dowden A. M.
Stewart J. Strickland. G. J. Davis Jr. and J. Wiley Miller. A
good school and a Baptist church are maintained at Mount Carmel.
The church was constituted November 9 1863 by the following
presbytery: Elder Henry Simmons and Deacons Charles and Zack
Corley. S. Y. Addison of Corleyville is the present church
clerk. Kisatchie Lodge No. 156 F. & A. M. is located here. It
was chartered February 12 1858 with the following members: W. P.
Goings. M. G. McNeely Jacob Kile J. T. McNeely J. K. Phares W.
G. Norris and L. J. Nash. The lodge was first located at
Kisatchie in Natchitoches parish but later moved to Mount Carmel
in Sabine. The present officers are as follows: J. Wiley Miller
W. M.; C. F. Knippers S. W.; R. L. Tynes J. W.; A. B. Jordan
treasurer; J. E. Jordan secretary; W. D. Stewart S. D; D. T.
Knippers J. D.; W. R. Hays chaplain; L. E. Coburn tyler.
settlers of the Toro community were William Curtis Sr. William
Curtis Jr. and John McCollister who came in 1827. They cut down
and burned the cane and made two crops before they fenced their
fields for there was nothing to fence against except wild
animals. The next settlers to come were Eli Chance from
Mississippi, Fletcher Rollins, James Holt, W. C. Southwell,
Valuetine Nash, T. J. Godwin, Charles Bennett, S. G. Lucius and
John Caldwell. They erected one of the first school houses in
the parish which was built of pine poles and split log benches
were used for seats. A church was established in later years and
the church and school named Pleasant Hill. The first schools
were taught by Ham Nash and S. G. Lucius both gentlemen having
come to Sabine parish from South Carolina. Pleasant Hill now has
a splendid church and school building and the community is
prosperous and progressive. Prominent citizens of Toro are
C. W. Antony
J. H. Brewster
W. C. Ford
John F. Koonce
J. S. Lucius
B. B. McMillan
W. J. McMillan
J. J. McNeely
J. M. Miller
W. L. Prewitt
J. J. Whittaker
Source: History of Sabine Parish,
Louisiana, by John G. Belisle, Sabine Banner Press, 1913.