Settlers on Government Land ~ 1832 - 1860
government land in this parish between 1832 and 1860 were as
1832 - Alonza Barr (the land lying
near Many, and was sold in 1834: to Domingo Catriua who sold to
F. Veuleman in 1837), William Palmer.
1833 - Eldred Parker.
1835 - James Tyler, Sam Wiley,
1836 - Thomas Wilson, B. J. and Sam
Thompson, Henry Hall, William J. Elam.
1837 - Sarah Greening.
1838 - Spencer G. Adams, Sam
Westfall, John Spiker, Reuben Oxley, P. H. Craig, Carey Morris,
1839 - Shadric Howard, Needham J.
Alform, Couzie Biles (wife of Benjamin Biles), Silas Shellburne,
John A. McClanahan, Zadock Turner, Asa Speights, John J.
Francis, William Glallion, Cleri Grillet, Lydia Webb, Gora
Munson, Lou Martha Moses, J. H. Crockett, Garrison Anderson,
William Ferguson, John Lebo, Martha Wiley, Lindsey, B. and
Benjamin B. Rayburn, William D. Stephens, James F Murphy.
1840 - Andrew Woods, Henry Ruggley,
G. A. Sleet, Sarah Litton.
1841 - N. Croker, T. E. Woods, George
W. Tate, S. A. Eason.
1842 - Andrew Woods, T. Roberts.
1843 - Sam Eldredge, C. R. Wimberly,
Thomas J. Dandy, John Graham, Matthew Jones, John H. Thompson,
Samuel W. Fellerton, Thomas G. Godwin, John Godwin Mary L.
Branch, John Carroll, State to John Caldwell.
1844 - Cornelius Wiley, William T. C.
King, John Lapsley, Albert Jordan, M. L. Branch, Martha
1845 - Mary L. Caldwell, William
Curtis, John White, Stephen Wiley, John R. Yokum to P. A.
1846 - Redic Sibley, Joe R.
Billingsley, Nathan Darling, Shelton James, Washington and
Bradley Deer, G. M Cook; Mary Provence bought land from Palmer.
1847 - William L. Cobbs, Clay P.
Waldrop, John Jordan, Louis I. Wamsley, W. F. Woods, James M.
1848 - William Cook, William Varner,
John Pullen, William F. Woods, John Gillaspie, John H. Jenkins,
J. M. Gibbs, John C. Royston, James Hampton, Elijah Rembert,
Prudent Strother, William Iies.
1849 - Fletcher Rallins, Thomas
Constable, Daniel P. Lockwood, James L. Williams, J. J.
Greening, John Vines, Jesse H. Fincher.
1850 - T. S. Stafford, John Callens.
1851 - James I. Self, James A. Woods,
John Self, Sam Webb, J. H. Armstrong, H. P. Hudson, R. M.
Armstrong, Daniel R. Gaudy, William Antony, T. A. Armstrong.
1852 - J. J. Snell, Calvin Alston,
John A Gould, E. K. Baker, William H. Killough, James Walker.
1853 - William Foote, James A.
Cranford, Robert Lambert, Ben H. Craig.
1854 - William B. Westfall, Robert
1855 - John Bolton, James Earls,
James R. Phares, John Miller.
1856 - William Rhodes, Andrew
Cutright, J. Dove, J. Varner, J. P. Campbell.
1857 - Parish School Board sold land
to R. Frances. No purchases from the government appear during
1858 - Lydia Godwin, Charles Johns,
Franklin Dutton, R. L. F. Sibley, W. W Sibley, *Hugh Dowden,
George W. Addison Allen Holland, Russell McDonald, Levi Weldon,
William Mosely, Joe T. Lynch, Robert F. Royston, Joseph
Brewster, Max McGowan, William Crump, John L. Childers, William
Fanley, Robert D Miller, John Hampton, James Fike, W. W.
Campbell, Green Weldon, William Kirkham, John Putnam.
1859 - James Owens, Daniel Britton,
J. W. Kirkham, Napoleon Darnell, Sol Royston, Thomas M Berry,
Jeremiah Robinson, Sam Johnson, William Vines, John Aten, R. L.
Armstrong, William P. Glass, Daniel Cumilander, Isaac E.
Robinson, John C. Duncan, Samuel G. Lucius, Joe G. Garlington,
Isaac Dickinson, William Gook, James Gook, Temperance Cook, T.
B. Conerly, Valentine Nash, Crawford G. Presley, William Antony,
Allen Arthur, William Parrott, Hosea B. Lewing, Major Hardy,
Benjamin P. Norsworthy, Joe Alford, G. W. Durritt, John Boswell,
Sampson Whatley, Ann Lester, Henry Cook, Jesse Wright, William
H. Stroud, Thomas J. Arthur, Thomas Grace, William Miller, Moses
Salter, Alfred Self, Enoc Davis.
1860 - Bebee Michel, Robert Parrott,
William P. Smith, Charles Darnell, Harris & Beck (merchants of
Fort Jesup), Simeon Goodrow, Andrew M. Miller, W. W. Chapman, G.
L. Wamsley, J. G. Sibley, P. L. Corley, Wm. Y, Weldon, Allen
Gandy, Mary A. Beddenfield.
Among the first land entries in 1832
was that of William A. Lecure for the northeast quarter of the
northeast quarter of Section 33, Township 8, Range 11. After the
entry was made no person ever came to claim or take possession
of the land. The presumption is that Lecure was an attache of
the government surveying corps which surveyed the parish and
acquired the land thinking that it contained valuable mineral
deposits of some kind, but never returned to do any
''prospecting." No improvements have ever been made on the
tract, which was sold for taxes in 1879.
In 1844 James Sepulvedo and others
bought, in partnership, five acres of land on Sabine River in
order to become qualified voters.
After the creation of Sabine parish,
several land speculators acquired title to old Spanish land
grants. Yates & McIntyre were the first to buy, and between 1841
and 1859 they sold land to the following persons:
W. H. Edmundson
William M. Polk
William and B. K. Ford
N H. Bray
S. S. Eason
J. C. Sibley
W. G. Painter
D. G Etheredge
E. K. King
J. S. Childers
D. A. Blackshear
W. B. Scritchfield
James B. Stewart
J. M. Latham
W. B. Schavler
T. F. Harkins
James A. Lane
Samuel B. Paul
W. S Whatley
period Thomas Patterson, who had acquired Spanish claims, sold
lands to S. D. Bossier, John C. Garret, R. A. Patterson, W. M.
McCullen. The Patterson lands were on the Las Orgemas and Lanana
grants and were sold to Stone & Hamlin. Stone's interests in
these lands were subsequently sold to Florien Giauque, Lehmer &
Pfirrman and heirs of Patterson.
Harvey Baldwin, another pioneer real
estate dealer, sold lands to G. W. Waller, Robert McDonald,
William Wilson, Jose Procella, Ephraham Butler, T. E. Boyd, Jose
Rock, James Oliver, Elizabeth Roberts, Alston Nabours, W. T.
Quirk, John W. Eason, Robert B. and William B. Stille. The
Stilles also bought Waterman's Rio Hondo claim in 1853.
Among those who purchased lands from
the State were Thomas Hardin (1859), F. A. Fuller ('61), James
W. Nettles ('60), L. Barbee (1859).
Many citizens resided on lands to
which they had no title. If such lands were a part of the public
domain, patents were finally obtained from the government under
the provisions of the homestead laws. Others settled on lands
which were a part of recognized Spanish claims. The Crow claim,
embracing a large tract of land on Sabine River, was not finally
approved until the present century, although several citizens
had long been settlers on this tract. Squatters continued, to
occupy land without procuring a title even after the War Between
the States. However, that manner of settlement at this time was
largely by ex-slaves or people who thought they were occupying
Some of the American settlers bought
their Rio Hondo claims from the Spaniards. Henry Stoker, who
came to the Fort Jesup community in 1818, acquired twelve
hundred acres for a small amount of money and two or three
Until after the civil war Many and
Fort Jesup were the only towns in Sabine parish and these places
were mere villages. The names of additional pioneer settlers
appear in chapters devoted to the chronicles of these towns and
of the parish government.
*Dowden settled in the Kisatchie
country, making first entry in an entire township.
Source: History of Sabine Parish,
Louisiana, by John G. Belisle, Sabine Banner Press, 1913.