Noble, Sabine Parish, Louisiana
Noble is a
progressive little town on the Kansas City Southern railroad
seventeen miles north of Many, between Bayou San Patricio and
Bayou San Miguel. It is surrounded by a fertile farming country
of the sandy and alluvial soils which are especially adapted to
trucking as well as the production of the staple crops.
number of thrifty farmers have homes there and among them some
of the best citizens of the parish. The settlement of this
section dates back to the '30s, but among the oldest of the
English-speaking pioneers were the following: C. P. and Robert
McDonald, Andrew Aaron, H. Litton, R. A. Rembert, Rev. J. B.
Moore, Alfred Lout, John Jacobs (who lived at Brown's Bluff),
The main road through that section ran from Grand Ecore via
Pleasant Hill to Myrick's Perry, on Sabine River. San Patricio
was the first post office in this section and Rev. J. B. Moore
organized the church (Baptist) there. The country was a
wilderness, broken by a few farms, until the early '80s, when
settlers began to come in, several hailing from DeSoto parish.
At that time there were no schools, Rev. J. M. Franklin, a
Methodist preacher, held services once a month, and preachers of
other denominations, occasionally, at a place known as the Four
Dogwoods, on the road running from L. Riddick's Store to
Pleasant Hill. The meetings were held under a brush arbor. The
four dogwoods were noted as a great deer stand. Hunters would go
into the immense wildwoods between Bayous San Patricio and San
Miguel with their dogs and would drive out the deer which would
run across the ridge where stood four good sized dogwood trees.
Many of the
settler here during the '80s purchased their lands from W. H.
Jack, and secured a deed to land on which to build a church, and
a small box house was constructed in which both the Baptist and
Methodist denominations worshipped for several years. Talk of a
railroad building through the country was first started in 1888,
and created intense excitement. Some of the old citizens who had
never seen a railway argued that it would be impossible to build
such a road through the forests and hills of that locality. The
early school was at Hicks' Camp, among the first teachers being
B. Godfrey and A. Hubier.
The town of
Noble was started in 1896, when the K. C. S. railroad was
completed through the parish, and the people who thought the
building of the road an impossibility have found it a great
blessing. The timber industry has been developed by the Trigg
and the Frost-Johnson Lumber companies, and Noble has developed
into a thrifty little town, with a progressive, hospitable
citizenship, and when more good farmers come there to help work
the idle lands it will be one of the wealthiest sections of
The town was
chartered in March, 1905, when J. P. Youngblood was mayor. He
was succeeded by John Trigg who served until 1907, when A, Dean
was elected, In 1909 W. C. Lay was mayor and in 1911 C. C.
Sulhivan, the present incumbent, was elected to the position.
The following citizens have served as councilmen: O. A.
Robinett, W. C. Lay, A. A. Rodgers, J. B. Bicklay, J. T,
Ballard, A. bean, J. H. Adger, W. W. Wynne and F. McWilliams.
The following have served as marshal: Joe Barkman, Bailey Lout,
Gene Barr, Walter Forest, J. C Sullivan, I G. Brown, J. W.
Robinette and F. M. Jacobs. C. W. Batton is the occupant of that
position at this time.
postmaster was Newton Lewis, but the office was discontinued and
was not re-established until 1899 when W. W. Wynne was
appointed. Mr. Wynne came from Mansfield and bought twenty-two
acres of land on which a large portion of the town is located
and divided it into town lots. He still occupies the position of
postmaster and has always taken an active interest in the
development of the town.
The R. L.
Trigg Lumber Co., began the erection of a mill here in 1899. The
interests of this company were subsequently transferred to the
Noble Lumber Co., who in turn sold to the Frost-Johnson Lumber
Co. The latter company now operates a well equipped mill with a
daily sawing capacity of 75,000 feet of lumber, and a planer
with ample capacity to handle the output of the mill. The
company also maintains a large general store which has a good
patronage from the people of surrounding country as well as its
employees. The efficient directors of the company's business are
S. H. Adger, mill superintendent; W. L. Tomling, planer foreman,
W. C, Lay, mill foreman; C. C. Hattaway, commissary manager; E.
D. Trigg, bookkeeper.
The Bank of
Noble was organized October 6, 1909, with a capital of $10,000.
The officers and directors were as follows: Dr. S. E. Prince,
president J. E. Graham, vice president; E. D. Trig, cashier; W.
H. Vandegaer, Frank Hunter, J. G. Long, S. M. Lord, John R.
Parrott, Perry Castle, Dr. T. J. Tribble, A. J. Burkett and G.
R. Aaron. Several months after the organization of the bank Mr.
Trigg resigned and J. G. Long served as cashier until 1912, when
D. B. Wardlow assumed the position. This bank' is one of the
most prosperous financial institutions in the parish. It has
paid in dividends 50 per cent of the amount of its capital stock
and has surplus and undivided profits amounting to $3,500. The
officers are courteous gentlemen who have great faith in the
future of that section and are always ready to lend
encouragement to worthy enterprises and their patrons and
J. E. Graham
conducts a large mercantile business here, and has been
identified with the business life of Noble nearly from its
beginning. He has always taken a vital interest in the
industrial progress of that section, and made special efforts to
encourage truck farming. He has handled the farmers' Irish
potato crop for several years, 36 cars being shipped from Noble
in a single season. He is a courteous merchant and good citizen.
Bell & Payne are prosperous merchants here, The firm is composed
of Leo Bell and R. V. Payne who have been in business four
years, succeeding R. P. Bell (father of Leo) who opened the
first mercantile house in Noble. Both are young men of splendid
business ability, carry an immense stock of goods and enjoy a
S. L. Bison
is another young merchant of Noble, beginning business here in
1906. His parents were Joe and Mary Bison, old settlers of this
section. He is courteous to his customers, and while his stock
is not large, he has a good patronage.
mercantile establishments are conducted by E, E. Latham and Mc
Williams & Malloy. Bell Bros, are the accommodating proprietors
of the livery barn. The cotton gin is owned by Pugh & Lord, and
the fact that 1500 bales of cotton has come to Noble in a season
is sufficient evidence that they do good business. They also
have a mill for grinding corn meal.
J. A. Raimond
is the efficient justice of the peace and a notary here. He is
also proprietor of the Raimond Hotel, which caters to the needs
of the traveling public, and is also the owner of an up-to-date
barber shop. Mr. Raimond was born and reared in this community,
his father being W. J. Raimond, an old settler. He spent his
life on a farm. He also served several years as deputy sheriff.
He is a progressive citizen and is a booster for the Noble
community all the time.
F. M. Jacobs,
proprietor of the Jacobs Hotel, was born and reared in this
section of the parish. His father, John Jacobs, was a well-known
pioneer, and his wife was Miss Aaron, daughter of A. J. Aaron,
who was also an old settler. Besides the hotel business, he owns
a good farm on San Miguel.
Noble has a
splendid graded school, Prof. G. A. Odom, an educator of
splendid ability, being the present principal. The progressive
people have provided a large building which is located in one of
the prettiest sections of the town. A splendid corps of teachers
have charge of the school and students are assured the best
instruction that it is possible to give.
Masonic Lodge at Noble was organized in 1907. The
following have served as Worshipful Masters: James R. Robinett,
A Dean, Dr. S. E. Prince and Charles Robinett, C. C. Hathaway is
the present master.
Camp No. 112, Woodmen of the World, is also a
prosperous fraternal society here. The Baptist and Methodist
denominations have houses of worship at Noble. Rev. J, C.
Rousseaux is pastor of the Methodist church, while Rev. J, G.
Mason is pastor of the Baptist congregation.
resort of this section is the well of hot salt water just west
of town. This well was developed by the Long-Bell Lumber Co
while prospecting for oil. A bath house has been provided at the
well and many visitors go there, as the water is reputed to
possess splendid medicinal value.
Some of the
prominent farmers of the Noble community:
T. F. Aaron
W. M. Barton
M. W. Henderson
John L. Latham
|J. E. Lynch
J. W. Moore
J. M. Ruesell
C. A. Wall
Source: History of Sabine Parish,
Louisiana, by John G. Belisle, Sabine Banner Press, 1913.