Negreet and Mitchell, Sabine Parish, Louisiana
community is about twelve miles southwest of Many and its
settlement dates back to 1822 when Christopher Antony located
there. It is a rich farming section. In recent years much
prospecting for oil has been engaged in there and the
indications are that that commodity will yet be found in paying
quantities. This section has the conveniences of a telephone
line from Many a good school and church and will soon have a
model road to the parish seat. Little Flock Lodge F. & A. M.
organized at 1867 at old Wineburg is located here and is a
thriving lodge. Frank Button was an old settler of this place
and ran a tanyard in early times coming from New York. R. J.
Lucius who was born and reared here and for many years was
engaged with his brother James F. in farming and merchandising
is postmaster. They are now in the real estate business.
Prominent Citizens of Negreet
W. T. Addison
T. C. Antony
C. D. Carroll
J. I. Cook
E. P. Curtis
M. F. Gandy
H. M. Gandy
M. H. Addison Hoyt
W. R. McCormic
G. W. Miller
J. W. Phares
J. S. Salter
T. C. Salter
J. C. Salter
office is located in one of the most progressive sections in the
parish. It was named for Jack Mitchell who was interested in
sawmills. The first store was built by Wilt Morgan in 1895. Jack
Mitchell was the first postmaster and was succeeded by J. L.
Jackson. B. F Moore & Son have conducted a sawmill and
mercantile business there since 1896. Mitchell is live
agricultural section has a good school rural telephones and will
soon have modern roads.
Lodge No. 252. F. & A. M. was chartered in 1896. The first
C. Geiger W. M.
J. A. Gates S. W.
W. F. Ledford J. W.
J. F. Jackson J. D.
P. L. Tatum tyler
A. G. Kidd chaplain
J. R. Barron is the present
citizens of this community
J. R. Barron
T. H. Coplen
J. E. Largent
J. D. McLeroy
W. H. Mains
R. L. Price
J. W. Sistrunk
A. E. Slay
Source: History of Sabine Parish,
Louisiana, by John G. Belisle, Sabine Banner Press, 1913.