Geo L. Jackson Sabine Parish, Louisiana
George L. Jackson
Jackson, present occupant of the assessor's office in Sabine
parish, was born in old Jackson (now Lincoln) parish, near
Ruston, November 21, 1851, his parents being Fred and Silina
(Shipp) Jackson. His grandfather was an old settler of Lincoln
parish, having erected the first mill in that section. Fred
Jackson's family consisted of six children: W. F. of Rapides
parish, A. S. of Natchitoches parish, H. S. of New Orleans,
Norma (wife of Dr. Curtis of Shamrock), Mrs. A. L. Stephens of
Leesville, and George L.
of this sketch was enabled to secure only a very limited
education the last school he attended being at Many in 1874 when
Prof. Davies was the teacher. His father's family came to Sabine
parish in 1872 and located near Fort Jesup and he followed
farming until 1876 when he entered the printing office of the
Sabine Southron at Many to learn the "art preservative" at a
salary of $4 a month. After an extended experience at the
printer's trade, however, he left it to accept a position in the
store of L. B. and F. C. Gay at Robeline, in which he remained
He was then
employed by Caldwell & Hill, and later was manager of the store
of the Farmers' Co-Operative Association at Fort Jesup for two
years, after which he farmed two years and then worked for three
years in A, Dover's store at Robeline. He then spent eight years
as salesman and buyer for the mercantile house of Stille Bros,
at Many, resign in that position to make the race for assessor,
to which office he was elected in 1908.
In 1912 he
was re-elected without opposition, which is sufficient evidence
of his personal popularity. He is a progressive citizen and
efficient public official.
In 1888 Mr.
Jackson was married to Miss Mary L. Presnall of Robeline and to
them ten children have been born: Kate (wife of T. J. Chisholm),
Lena, Robert B., Norma, Daisy, Florence (died in 1811), Fred,
James, Carro and Mary Evelin.
Source: History of Sabine Parish,
Louisiana, by John G. Belisle, Sabine Banner Press, 1913.