Churches of Sabine Parish, Louisiana
religious denominations are represented in Sabine parish and
churches are to be found in the towns as well as in the leading
communities. Besides the denominations mentioned below the
Congregational Methodists, Presbyterians, Latter Day Saints and
others have organized churches.
Baptist church west of Red River was organized on Toro in the
'30s, and the Sabine Association, with seven churches, was
organized in 1846. Among the early preachers were Elders William
Cook, McAuliff, E. A. Campbell and B. R. Roberts. In the early
'50c Elders VW. C. Southwell, "Billy" Sibley and N. H. Bray were
members of the association. Rev. I. N. McCollister was ordained
in 1852 and for many years was state missionary. He died in
1879. Among other prominent preachers of that association in the
old days were Revs. Edmund Duggan, Matthias Scarborough, Y. J.
Prewett, and, later, G. W. Stringer, Hiram Brewster, James
Savell, Abraham Weldon, J. G. Bailey, Daniel Slay, W. M. Lilly
and W. M. Bush, In 1878 the association was divided and Vernon
association created. In 1896 Sabine Association had about 65
churches and was again divided. North Sabine association being
created. Among the preachers belonging to the latter association
are Elders J. B. Wood, W. M. Bush, Geo. F. Middleton, Jas. G.
Mason, M. Smith, A. G. Kidd, J. M. Pate. W. R. Carroll. H. A.
Phillips, A. R. Horn, T. Buckley, H. W. Therwood, H. D.
Williams, W. R. Law and J. H. Ricks.
denomination has several churches in the parish and a large
number of prominent ministers have been assigned to this field
since 1840, and that church numbers among its membership some of
the leading citizens of the parish. W. D. Stephens, who came to
the parish in 1835, was probably the first local Methodist
preacher. He was also a mechanic and superintended the work of
building Fort Jesup was intimate with Gen. Zachary Taylor, and
declined a Federal position which the general offered him when
he became president. Mr. Stephens was a member of the state
constitutional convention in the '40s. Rev. W, F. Henderson is
at present in charge of the Many circuit.
The church of Las Cabezas, on Bayou Scie,
was established in about 1795, which was followed by another
church known as Nuestra Senora de-Guadeloupe. These old churches
have passed into history, having been succeeded by the present
church (St. Joseph's) at Zwolle, of which Rev. J. A, Aubree was
the first rector. Rev. F. Van Haver was stationed there for
several years. The church at Many was erected in 1870, Rev.
Father Aubree serving as rector until his death in 1896. Rev. A.
Anseeuw later took charge, remaining until 1906, when Rev. Q.
Vanderburg, present rector, came. Besides having charge of the
church (St. John's) at Many, Father Vanderburg has as a mission
the church at Spanish Lake, which succeeded the mission at Adais,
established in the early part of that eighteenth century.
Source: History of Sabine Parish,
Louisiana, by John G. Belisle, Sabine Banner Press, 1913.