Belmont, Sabine Parish, Louisiana

This is one of the thriving communities of the parish. The post office was started about 1879 with Dr. T. H. Hardin postmaster. He was succeeded by L. A. Trailor, George W. Heard, the present postmaster, has had charge of the office since 1892. Belmont has a Baptist church, which was organized in 1872; a good school, a Masonic lodge, and two mercantile establishments. G. W. Heard has conducted a business for many years. John E., Wm. F., and Joe P. Skinner run a business there which was started in 1898 under the name of Skinner Bros.

Many of the early settlers of the Belmont community came from Lincoln and Union parishes, but in later years a number of settlers came from Mississippi.

Among the progressive citizens of that section are the following:

J. A. Armstrong
D. J. Austin
R. G. Bozeman
J. E. Bullard
D. M. Currie
W. W. Currie
E. N. Haley
J. A. Haley
W. F. Haley
W. S. Haley
J. L. Heard
L. B. Horn
E. T. Linder
T. F. Linder
W. M. McFerren
R. W. Nesom
S. J. Ramsey
J. A. Salley
L. W. Salley
G. L. Sebren
Ben Skinner
C. H. Skinner
J. P. Skinner
E. W. Tyler
J. C. Wright

Sabine Parish | AHGP Louisiana

Source: History of Sabine Parish, Louisiana, by John G. Belisle, Sabine Banner Press, 1913.

 

Please Come back Soon!!

 
This page was last updated Wednesday, 31-Dec-2014 20:13:06 EST

Copyright August © 2011 - 2017 AHGP  The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work.